Friday, February 2, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed, now online only. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special place. We value your feedback. Email your news and notes to email@example.com.
* ... KERN CRUDE: Back in the day, I believed that the heavy Kern Crude petroleum produced here was worth less than the oil produced in west Texas because it cost more to get it out of the ground. I was wrong, as I learned from Chad Hathaway the other day when he
* ... THANKS NBC: Did you see the new video about Bakersfield that is floating around the internet? It is produced by a new organization called NBC Left Field, which is an attempt by NBC to attract younger readers via videos on social media. I cannot think of a more unflattering portrayal of Kern County. NBC Left Field uses former talk show host Inga Barks to explain our city (a dubious choice itself) and its bleak, unflattering video of our community makes me wonder if this was simply yet another hit piece from the start. And on its teaser logo: a Latino man holding a gun. Really? But you be the judge.
* ... BURGER WARS: Bakersfield is getting another burger franchise, this one specializing in mini, slider-type custom burgers and variations of french fries and onion rings. Burgerim, which has dozens of outlets in 15 states, plans to open two locations in the southwest (Gosford and Stockdale Highway) and one in the east (Mt. Vernon.) The company has 20 locations in California.
* ... BAD FORM: So did you hear about the high school student who showed up at the East High Winter Formal with a six-inch switch blade in his pocket? It was discovered during a routine pat down but what wasn't routine was his response when he was told he and his parents had signed an agreement not to bring guns or knives to the dance. His response: "My father told to bring in." The student in question attends Centennial High and his date East High.
* ... CHARLIE MANSON: By the way, did you catch the KGET TV report on the man who claims to be Charlie Manson's grandson who wants to claim his body? Check out his picture here (courtesy of KGET) that had this caption: "Jason Freeman claims to be Charles Manson’s grandson and is seeking control of Manson’s remains. He says his grandpa was a 'kind and giving person.'" Kind and giving? Tell that to Sharon Tate's family.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "My personal trainer at the gym told me I need to start working on my upper body strength. I told him to just open the damn pickles and STFU."
* ... GOOD FORM: Did you know that a North High graduate named Suzanne Filkins is the associate producer of the critically acclaimed film "Call Me by Your Name"? That's the word from reader Teri Filkins who said her sister in law, Suzanne, was involved in the movie that has been nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Susanne is the daughter of Dr. Mylon and Mrs. Pat Filkins.
* ... OLD PHOTO: This photo was found in an old home on 19th Street downtown while a friend was moving out. Do you recognize the people in picture?
* ... OOPS: And then there was this sign ....