Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special to live. Send your tips to email@example.com.
* ... CANDACE OWENS: Leave it State Sen. Shannon Grove to bring in a big hitter for a fund
* ... DOT AND OTT: Have you been to the new green grocer and restaurant downtown on Eastchester called "Dot and Ott?" Owned by Jesse and Jeremy Blackwell, the eatery is named after former neighbors of Jesse's named Dot and Otto and it certainly does the couple justice. Housed in a beautiful old historic building on 18th Street that was once a feed store, it features fresh vegetables from Pickalittle Farms, locally produced eggs and a full lineup of beer and wine. It is open Monday through Saturday with a full service of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: "I may be chubby, but I identify as thin. I am trans-slender."
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Not to brag, but I've been invited to join AARP. This is all happening so fast."
* ... MAC 'N CHEESE: One of our community's most popular outdoor events is coming on on Saturday, April 20, when the sixth annual Mac 'n Cheese Festival is held on the youth soccer fields at CSUB. Put on by American General Media (owners of KERN NewsTalk 96.1 FM)s the event features beer, wine, live music and varieties of macaroni and cheese from 30 local restaurants. Get tickets at www.macncheesefest.com or at Event Bride website.
* ... RAINBOW: Remember that wind we had earlier in the week? It triggered some interesting weather including this rainbow out near Taft, captured by my friend Pam Taylor.
* ... MEMORIES: Check out this picture of the old St. Pauls's Episcopal Church.