Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Obesity rates skyrocket along with the percentage of young people with diabetes or pre diabetes
If you have Home Box Office (HBO), make sure you tune into the multi part series "Weight of the Nation," a scary look into how obesity leads to premature deaths across all socioeconomic levels.
* ... SMALL WORLD: Chelby Cooke, the Bakersfield Christian High School tennis phenom who is headed to Santa Clara University, will be in good hands once she lands there. According to local Realtor John Mackessy, the university's women's tennis coach is Ben Cabell. "His grandfather, John Mackessy, was a long time member, past president, and respected 'Nooner' of the Bakersfield Racquet Club and probably responsible for Ben's first tennis racquet. His mother is Alison Mackessy Cabell, an East High, Bakersfield College and Stanford alum. Our family is very proud of Ben and he is thrilled to have Chelby on his squad." (Californian photo)
* ... THE BUZZ: Political observers are wondering just how wounded the Karen Goh campaign is after the latest dustup over her using Monsignor Craig Harrison's endorsement on her campaign literature. The "endorsement" was explained away as a mistake but it triggered a firestorm of controversy that simply can't help Goh's campaign for 5th District Supervisor. Meanwhile, opponents Leticia Perez and Tim Tarver are smartly staying away from the issue. (file photo of Karen Goh)
* ... OVERHEARD: A middle aged man telling a friend, "Now that the Lakers and Clippers are out of the playoffs, all I can look forward to is USC football in September."
* ... BAD FORM: Another example of questionable behavior comes compliments of reader Riley Parker. "At about 1:45 today (Monday) I was west bound on Stockdale Highway at Coffee Road, stopped at the signal. In the lane to my left was a large van with the logo of Kern High School District on the door. There were about seven or eight passengers on board. The blond driver, a female old enough to know better, was so busy texting on her pink phone that she almost sat through the signal. She continued texting until she was well past the intersection. This person should be removed from her position of responsibility for a van load of special needs students. It’s nice that they have a four digit number displayed on the rear door."
* ... SPOTTED: A bicyclist stops on the street behind the Petroleum Club and relieves himself on the sidewalk as cars pass by in the middle of the day. Really?
* ... DID YOU KNOW? From the New York Times: Did you know that doctors are now telling people to avoid brushing your teeth immediately after a meal? The reason: Acid left from a soft drink or a meal will erode the enamel, and brushing will accelerate that. Always wait at least 30 minutes after a meal to brush.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Fatsos: Dearest City Parks & Rec, Please consider keeping any remaining public pools open and available for the public to burn off energy/calories. At the minimum, young children can have some great fun exercise while teenagers can have a job.
I've gotten into cycling and once you venture out towards Old dump road, Round Mountain Road, even Enos ln, if nature calls you're basically S.O.L....however, I'm ladylike enough to find a hidden bush. I love the bike path and what we have, but a potty with TP would be nice. Also...what's up with Goh's campaign ad on the local TV station(s)? She seems nervous and blinks over a billion times! That's my rant for the day. Thanks.
It's great that you're covering the obesity epidemic! The awareness that is happening is very needed, but in addition to that, people need a solution that works. We have taken this on as a life mission, to help others, find out what their goals are, regardless if that's lower cholesterol or a smaller dress size or the guy who wants to feel confident taking his shirt off at the beach. We offer a plan that is beyond proven to work and our support is free. We have support/challenge groups starting weekly and the accountability is done online. Message me for more details! Thanks, firstname.lastname@example.org www.teamvictoryx.com
Post a Comment