* ... CRIME: There are yet more reports across town of thieves siphoning gas from parked cars. Two people recently reported waking up to find their gas tanks completely empty? What to do? Consider a new gas cap that locks with a key.
* ... BAKERSFIELD THIEVES: And speaking of crime, did you know there was a Facebook page devoted to posting pictures of petty thieves in town? A few minutes scrolling through the pictures on the "Bakersfield Thieves" Facebook page is a depressing experience, but nonetheless educational. There are pictures of thieves stealing packages off front porches, people riding bicycles carrying big screen TVs, shoplifters and just about anything else that will ruin your day.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "The difference between pizza and your opinion is that I asked for pizza."
* ... CHIMNEY DEATH: The death of a suspected burglar who died of thermal burns after he got stuck in a fireplace in Fresno County has a familiar - and odd - ring to it. In this latest case, the homeowner didn't know the would-be burglar was in the fireplace when he started the fire, leading to the predictable consequences. In was in August of 2010 when a local doctor, Jacquelyn Kotarac, died she she got stuck in the chimney of her boyfriend's house in southwest Bakersfield. In that case, she took to the chimney after she failed to break into the house in a more conventional sense.
* ... CHIPS FOR KIDS: I hope all of you get a chance to swing by The Californian Wednesday to donate an unwrapped toy for the CHIPs for Kids toy drive. We will be set up at the corner of H and 18th streets from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* ... BAKERSFIELD WINDS: And there was this shout-out from reader Gerhard Schmidt: "A week ago, there was a musical event by the outstanding Bakersfield Winds. They were able to return to the Olive Drive campus after renovations of the church building. This appeared to improve the acoustics, so that the performance was indeed 'ear candy.' This ensemble of 50 musicians, many of them music educators, produces what is no doubt an unbelievable value for a suggested $5 donation. The quality is close to that of professional wind ensembles. Look up their schedule online. Especially not to be missed is their patriotic concert."