Friday, September 8, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special to live. Send your news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ... THE MAYOR'S MISSION: I ran into Mayor Karen Goh at the John Brock Awards dinner over at Seven Oaks Country Club this week and we had a long discussion about the homelessness issue.
* ... BROCK AWARD: And speaking of the John Brock award, congratulations to Rogers Brandon who was honored as the 30th recipient of the coveted award, which recognizes community service and benefits the CSUB School of Business. Brandon is president of American General Media and is the past head of the Rotary Club of Bakersfield, Bakersfield Museum of Art, Memorial Hospital Foundation and CSUB Foundation.
* ... MAXWELL'S: TL Maxwell's, the restaurant once owned by former City Councilman Terry Maxwell, has been sold and will be reopening soon after getting a complete makeover. The new owner is Dr. Lee Marek, the podiatrist who recently sold The Mark, another downtown restaurant that he owned with several investors. Marek told me the restaurant would reopen in October as the "Horse in an Alley." The eatery, located on 17th Place in the alley behind Uricchio's, has received new seating and a fresh coat of paint but will retain its iconic bar.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Dogs are tough. I’ve been interrogating this one for hours and he still won’t tell me who is a good boy."
* ... MORE TWITTER: "Quit sighing, people behind me in line. If the cashier had handed me the bills facing the same direction, we wouldn't be in this situation."
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: A neighbor posts a video of a deranged homeless man banging on his front door, screaming to the heavens and dumping trash on his front lawn. He calls Bakersfield police who deem it a non-emergency and fail to show up. What would you do?
* ... GARCES MEMORIAL: Congratulations to the latest four entrants in the Garces Memorial High School hall of fame. They include Joe Munoz of Casa Munoz (in my book one of the best Mexican restaurants in town), former Garces principal John Fanucchi, John Roberts and Leroy Sacchini. They were inducted in a ceremony this week at Monsignor Leddy Hall.
* ... MEMORIES: Check out this old ranch house in Delano back in the day.