Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place.
* ... HOMELESS: Does it strike you as odd that homelessness is never even mentioned among the
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "My husband would take a bullet for me. But he would also criticize my driving on the way to the hospital."
* ... TBC SALE: The folks over at The Bakersfield Californian are a nervous bunch these days as they wait for the sale of the family-owned newspaper to take effect at the end of this month. Will they stay in the building on Pegasus after the sale (the family retained ownership of the building)? Where will the paper be printed? Will the new owners cut the number of days the paper is printed? Will the new owners hike the subscription rates and go more digital? Will the employees be forced to reapply for their jobs? Already the new owners have told employees they will cash our their accrued vacation pay (sorry, no money for accrued sick pay) and they have pledged to find a local CEO. Stay tuned because big changes are coming.
* ... MONSIGNOR CRAIG: The accusations of sexual abuse against Monsignor Craig Harrison have become part of a nationwide campaign to discredit and hold the Catholic Church responsible for its actions. The anti-Harrison campaign has turned virulent, hijacked by anti-church militant groups hellbent on exposing church corruption. Consider, for example, this online video making the rounds and collecting literally thousands of views. Harrison, meanwhile, continues to push back and proclaim his innocence, and has returned to Bakersfield and is making limited public appearances. Stay tuned.
* ... MEMORIES: Enjoy these photos from our local history Facebook pages.