Friday, August 30, 2019
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. Send news items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ... FATHER CRAIG: The Merced District Attorney's office is now reviewing the allegations of
* ... VIGILANTE JUSTICE: If there is one thing downtown business owners can agree on, it is this: we do not have a homeless crisis. Rather, we have a drug crisis. That was the consensus of a group of downtown business owners who discussed our crisis on my radio show (KERN NewsTalk 96.1 FM) this week. Among those we talked with was Dixie Haley Brewer, a downtown retailer whose business - In Your Wildest Dreams at 19th and Q streets - has been vandalized and targeted by thieves multiple times over the past year. Haley said if things continue to spiral downward, it will only be a matter of time before vigilante justice kicks in as people take their safety into their own hands. What that means, and how it is handled, is unknown at this time but it reflects the extreme frustration business owners feel as this situation spirals out of control.
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: Speaking of the drug addicted homeless, a business owner downtown posted this on Facebook: "Now we've got these 'animals' pounding on windows and breaking them in broad daylight. This little white chick with very short bleached blonde hair, in a grey hoodie and black shorts just walked up 19th Street pounding our windows with her fist as she walks by. She shattered a window at Mill Creek Antiques and kept on walking. Then proceeded to hit ours. I currently have a boarded window and a boarded door. I guess we're "blessed" to not have another broken one ourselves. Watch for this little hoodlum. Usually has a 'girlfriend' with her. They like to try and get inside and divide employees so one can steal.'"
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "No matter how nice I ask random people, nobody will take me to Funkytown."
* ... THEFT: And finally, now that it is a misdemeanor to steal anything merchandise valued under $950, businesses are witnessing a wave of shoplifters simply walking out the door with stolen goods. Check out this post from 23ABC: "The Bakersfield Police Department is asking for help in finding two people wanted for questioning regarding a petty theft on July 15 at an Albertsons on Brundage Lane. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Dunn at (661) 326-3876." In many cases, thieves will steal items like cases of diapers and then sell them individually at the transient hotels scattered about town.
* ... SARA HUDSON: Did you hear about the terrible death of 22-year-old Sara Hudson in Dallas? Hudson, who attended Garces Memorial High School and later the University of Arkansas, was killed in Dallas on her 22nd birthday. Her body was discovered in a burning SUV and authorities believe she was the victim of a car jacking that led to her murder. Arrested in the case was Glen Richter, 49. Hudson has relatives in Bakersfield and she was well known in the Garces community.
* ... ALLISON GARGARO: Congratulations to 23ABC weather forecaster Allison Gargaro, who has become a certified meteorologist. The Arizona State graduate received her credentials from Mississippi State University.
* ... ANNIVERSARY: Happy 27th wedding anniversary to House minority leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy and his wife, Judy. Check out this adorable picture of the two back in the day. The couple met in high school and have been inseparable since.
* ... MEMORIES: More old photos from two Facebook pages devoted to local history, Kern County History Fans and Kern County of Old. Do you spot Dewar's n the first photo?
Post a Comment