Monday, August 19, 2019
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. Send news items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ... BOILING POINT: When government fails the people, and the people lose hope in the institutions that are there to protect them, some will choose to take matters into their own hands. And that is exactly what a lot of people are considering as they watch our city devolve into a cesspool
* ... FIRE: Did you catch that nasty fire off Manor Drive and North Chester on Saturday? Apparently a welding torch triggered a grass fire that ended up burning a dozen or so vehicles. It was a bad addition to the already bad air we have every August.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "I don’t like to talk about my issues because the last time I told a guy that I felt empty inside, he got me pregnant. "
* ... CLEAR THE SHELTER: Cheers to Julie Johnson and the folks at the Bakersfield Animal Care Shelter for a successful "clear the shelter" day this weekend. More than 100 dogs and cats were adopted in the first two hours, clearing the shelter and making room for more animals.
* ... MEMORIES: Who remembers visiting The Plunge on a hot Bakersfield afternoon? Thanks to the Facebook page Kern County of Old for these memories.
* ... MORE MEMORIES: And who remembers the Monkey Den on Baker Street across from the Arizona Cafe? This picture after the 1952 earthquake.