* ... CORONAVIRUS: It might come as no surprise, but it is worth noting that medical experts now concede it is much better for you - and harder to contract the coronavirus - being outside rather than inside. This news come as people have become weary and restless over local governments closing parks and
* ... CHURCH SERVICES: Meanwhile, we have all heard the arguments for reopening church services in this pandemic. But Glenn Bland, owner of Bland Heating and Solar, cautions it may not be the smartest idea. This is a tad long but worth a read: "Lately I’ve seen lots of noise about opening houses of worship and restaurants with social distancing measures in place. As an expert in HVAC technology, I’m saying it’s just not possible. Air conditioning systems recirculate the air within the building envelope at a rate of approximately 400 cubic feet per minute per 12,000 btus of capacity.
Typically there’s about 12,000 btus of unit capacity for every 200 square feet of commercial building.
Example: 2,000 square building/200 = (10) X 400cfm = 4,000cfm. So in a 2,000 square ft. building with 8 ft. ceilings, every four minutes would be a 100% complete circulation of all the air in the building. The formula is directly proportional so the rate of change stays the same regardless of building size. nAre you getting the picture? It wouldn’t matter if you’re 6 feet apart or six inches, everything contained in your bodily excretions in vapor form is shared with everyone in the building envelope every FOUR MINUTES. Worship via Zoom, order for take out or delivery, let your hair grow a little longer, cut your own toenails, shop on-line, etc. Having patience a little while longer may save your life or the life of someone you love."
* ... CAFE SMITTEN: I was thrilled when the owners of Cafe Smitten decided to reopen their restaurants for take-out service. That, and news that Uricchio's Trattoria would open for curbside service on May 19, sends a strong message that we may be slowly returning to normal. Mayor Karen Goh was also happy about Smitten, posting a series of pictures and this valentine on Facebook: "Thank you, Bakersfield, for continuing to support our SMALL BUSINESSES. Welcome back, Cafe Smitten, Shai and Stasie Bitton! Delicious quinoa bowl – perfect combination of warm red quinoa, egg, avocado, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and kale."
* ... MORE EATS: Elsewhere, I hear the Brimstone bar at The Padre Hotel will reopen, possibly this week. Also returning for curbside service is Woolgrower's this week, and next Tuesday, May 19, Uricchio's Trattoria will be up and running with a limited pickup service.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Nobody looks back on their life and remembers the nights they had plenty of sleep."
* ... FOX THEATER: You have to admire the creative thinking at The Fox Theater, which is raising money during this pandemic by renting out its signage for $200 a day.
* ... MEMORIES: Take a trip down memory lane and check out these photos, separated only by the hands of time.