Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Coming soon: the new weekday tabloid Bakersfield Californian. Tell us what you think
For all you newspaper readers out there, be prepared for a mild (and hopefully pleasant) surprise when you open your Californian on Monday, August 17th. That's the date we are launching our new weekday Californian tabloid, which will offer more local content than ever before in an attractive new package. The tabloid will run Monday through Friday while Saturday and Sunday will remain the traditional broadsheet. So why did we do it?
* ... Our research shows local sells, so we wanted to produce a product with deeper and richer local content. There will be national and international news, but less of it. Studies show readers increasingly view this as "commodity" content while local is both exclusive and more relevant to their lives.
* ... We think readers are going to love the more convenient size. Tabs are particularly popular with older readers who find it more convenient to read the paper without folding it multiple times. Our focus groups loved it.
* ... Many of the new elements will resemble a magazine as we move away from simply reporting breaking news to more trend and analytical reporting.
* ... One of the goals was to get better results for our advertisers, and we have designed the product so the ads stand out better.
* ... And finally, we believe in experimenting and trying new things. Our business is more competitive than ever before and we simply have to evolve.
* ... Next up? A complete redesign of bakersfield.com and our family of websites. Stay tuned.
A couple of examples of the pages:
Now, to be sure, we are bound to get some push back from folks who recoil from the term "tabloid" and don't want their local paper to resort to "tabloid journalism." Our obligation is to prove that won't happen and to produce a daily newspaper that will offer readers the best view of our community day in, and day out. We've been around for more than 100 years, and we plan to be around for another hundred.