Sunday, May 2, 2010
Celebrating the success of local kids and a sound argument for gun rights when predators walk our streets
* ... OFF TO OREGON: Kudos go out to Paul Brumfield, son of Superior Court Judge Lorna Brumfield and local attorney Robert Brumfield, for getting an academic scholarship to attend the University of Oregon in Eugene. Paul will major in music (with a minor in business) and is coming off participating in the California state honor choir. As his father said, "Go Ducks!"
* ... GUN RIGHTS: Is there a better argument for the right to bear arms than the brutal killing of grandmother Dorothy Pauline Session? She was beaten to death in her east Bakersfield home by some lost children who apparently just happened on the house intent to steal a few things. How many of these predators walk our streets on any given day? I can think of few better arguments for the Second Amendment than senseless cases like this. (suspects appear in court in photo below; Dorothy Session below)
* ... MEA CULPA: In a recent post on the engagement of Morgan Houchin and Jillian Giumarra, I neglected to mention that Jill's parents are John and Pamela Giumarra, and the mother of the Houchin boys is Candus Houchin-Birnbaum. That was bad form on my part and I apologize. Morgan's brother and Jillian's sister are already married, keeping this one all in the family.
* ... SAN JOSE STATE: Heard from Mark Powell, a reporter at The Tehachapi News, who wanted to know how big the community of San Jose State University alumni was locally. Powell noted that he graduated from San Jose State, as did long-time Californian courts reporter Steve Swenson and Jose Gaspar of KBAK Eyewitness News 29. In addition, former KBAK producer Meg Stewart is a San Jose State graduate.
* ... BAKERSFIELDISM: You know you're from Bakersfield when "you know the Garces circle is not a quiz item on a geometry test."