*... OILDALE: This is the type of news I love to share. On Saturday, September 28, a large group of
* ... BUSINESS: Frosting, Ink Bakeshop has opened in its new, stunning location downtown. The cupcake and sweet tooth shop owned by Sheila Heninger is now open on Eye Street at 19th in the renovated Hay Building. It is beautifully decorated with exposed brick walls and a bright and lively interior. Next door is the new Eye Gallery, an equally impressive space that is part of The Metro Galleries. Both businesses will have outdoor seating.
* ... MORE OPENINGS: And speaking of new businesses, Chipotle Mexican Grill has opened a new location on Coffee and Hageman, serving the growing Northwest. And the popular chain is building yet another near Sam's Club down Gosford Road to serve Southwest residents.
* ... SPOTTED: A middle aged woman riding in the front passenger seat of a blue SUV, stopped for a light at North Chester and Roberts Lane, casually rolls down her window and dumps her portable cup holder full of trash and assorted paper in the street.
* ... ARTFEST: I stopped by Artfest on Saturday, the popular annual fund raiser for the Boys and Girls Club of Bakersfield. Held at the beautiful Moorea Banquet Centre off Harris Road in the Southwest, the event featured tiles and paintings done by the program kids and a live auction. The annual gala raises some $150,000 a year for this community program.
* ... COLLEGE FOOTBALL: If it is fall, you can bet I will hear from Sunny Kapoor, a proud 1985 graduate of The Ohio State University. He was gleeful to note he attended the Ohio State-Cal game in Berkeley, a rout by the Buckeyes. He went with his wife, Julie, sons Nigel (Bakersfield College student) and Arie (Cal State Chico student). "Being a Buckeye alumni, we sat in the visitors section, with all my Buckeye brethren. It was amazing to see all the scarlet and gray at the stadium... Our seats were adjacent to the 'best damn band in the land' and were regaled by their tunes related to the state of Ohio and The Ohio State University. All in all it was a great visit, and sure looks like the Buckeyes may have a shot at the National Championship, but we have to go through Michigan first, and that game should be evenly matched. Anyhow, I am making my reservations for the Rose Bowl at the very least !"