* … RIP SHORTY: Every death is accompanied by a personal story and most of them go unnoticed by the public. Joe Sacco wanted me to know that the death of 66-year-old Lauren "Shorty" Bristol was not one of them. Bristol was killed in a hit and run incident at Calloway Road and Palm Drive a few days ago, the latest pedestrian death in a long line of tragedies locally. "The
* … BEST BETS: One of this weekend's best bets will happen Sunday at the Bell Tower Club when local rock and blues singer Monty Byrom and his band will be appearing to benefit Temple Beth El. It is a 2 p.m. show and the cost is $25 a ticket. On Saturday night, the Bakersfield West Rotary will holds its annual Cioppino Feed at Monsignor Leddy Hall at Garces Memorial High School, a can't miss even here in the charity fund raising season.
* … NORDSTROM: The next big retailer to open at The Shops at River Walk will be Nordstrom Rack, which opens its doors on Thursday, March 26. Get ready for another mob scene as Bakersfield welcomes a new retailer, and it no doubt will test a parking lot that is already jammed with the opening of Sprouts Farmers Market and BevMo!
* … BURTON: I had a chance to catch up with Kevin Burton, who runs the foundation over at San Joaquin Community Hospital and has been eyeing a run for mayor if Harvey Hall chooses not to seek reelection. Burton said he is definitely interested, has been overwhelmed with the amount of support her has garnered, and will decide only after consulting his family and friends.
* … FITNESS: And don't forget about the 6th Annual Bakersfield Health and Fitness Expo set for 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rabobank Theater. This is a free event and will feature dozens of vendors focusing on healthy living.
* … SCAM: Are you ready for another telephone scam targeting the elderly? Consider this from Norma Jackson. "The newest scam comes from an e-mail I received this morning from the 'Attorney General Office of South Carolina. They told me I was now going to be arrested regarding a lawsuit which is filed on my name and gave me a case file number. The first big tip off was the horrible grammar. They were also going to 'update this thing to your employer place and we are sure you will get terminated from your job with the immediate effect' [sic]. It provided a number for me to call; they also [very nicely] provided me with an Attorney Retainer Agreement for me to retain The Bennett Law Firm to represent me. I called the South Carolina Attorney General's Office and spoke with a Winifred there, who told me it was a fraud and I wasn't the first one. She gave me the number for consumer affairs to report it. On calling them I spoke with Matt in the fraud division, who knew about scam. He gave me the website for internet crimes and also phone number for Federal Trade Commission, which I did call.
* …ACHIEVER: More on the good news front: Congratulations to Alicia Sandoval Gilliam, an alumni of East Bakersfield High school class of 1994, for being honored by the National Association of Social Worker (San Jose Unit) last week. Alicia is the city of Sunnyvale's Youth, Family and Resources Coordinator. Thanks to her proud mother, Vickie Gilley, for sharing this.