* … SPOTTED: On Twitter this popped up: "The best way to get a man to do something is to suggest he’s too old for it."
* … CRIME: Living in a gated community may give you a greater sense of security, but it's not a guarantee you won't be a victim of crime. Earlier this week at The Greens in Seven Oaks, a gated adult community, someone kicked in the front door of a local residence and made off with jewelry and prescription drugs.
* … MAZE CUP: Remember when I mentioned the upcoming Maze Cup, the tennis tournament featuring some of the best juniors in the state? It is being hosted at Stockdale Country Club and is set for May 16-17 and is absolutely free. If you are interested in a Friday dinner, the cost is $25, but the tournament itself is free to the public.
* … OVERHEARD: A spunky and engaging Starbucks barista downtown responds to a customer's request with this friendly retort: "Gotcha dude."
* … HIKE: I am not a gambling man, but if I were I would wager that 10-year-old Waverly Reifka will never have to deal with diabetes or weight issues. The fourth grader, an A student at Ronald Reagan Elementary, recently completed a 16-mile hike with her parents on the Mill Creek Trail, a tough jaunt even for experienced hikers. Said proud father Dan Reifka of yet another long hike they took: "We woke up at 5 a.m., and we got home at midnight without dinner." Reifka said they were hiking with the Southern Sierra Hiking Club and "we thank you Leah, Erin Clerico and Stephen Black and Tony Sarzotti the organizer."
* … MEMORIES: Ronal Reynier's memory about an old theater that had a Spanish motif interior brought this response from Susan Seaman: "Mr Reynier's memory sounds like the old Granada Theatre located on Kentucky Street. It closed in the 1980s. It was remodeled in the 1950s, which may have done away with the trellises."
* … OR WAS THAT THE REX? But Rhonda Brady added this: "Your reader Ronal Reynier may be remembering the Rex Theatre on 19th Street just east of Woolworths. My father worked there for a short time when I was very young but I was never inside so don't know if it had a Spanish motif." Yet another reader left me a voice mail speculating the old theater could have been the Rialto.
Post a Comment