* ... UBER: It looks like ride-sharing services like Uber are helping reduce the number of drunk driving cases. That's the word from Mothers Against Drunk Driving which noted that cities that allow Uber are showing a marked decline in driving while intoxicated. As a report noted: "In California, drunk-driving crashes fell 6.5 percent among drivers under 30 in the markets where Uber operates following the launch of uberX in the state. That represents potentially 60 fewer drunk
* ... CAFE MED: Cafe Med is one of our signature restaurants known for its unique Mediterranean cuisine, quality of service and lively happy hour. And this year it is celebrating its 25th year in business by offering customers a series of specials along with a grand celebration in June. According to owner Meir Brown, there will be specials on the 25th of every month thought the year. Said Brown: "It has been an amazing 25 years and we look forward to serving Bakersfield for many more!"
* ... BURGERS: And speaking of food, a reader wrote to complain about the quality - and size - of the custom hamburgers at The Padre Hotel bar. "They are half the size they used to be," he told me. So I took it upon myself to check out the complaint and I can assure you the Padre burger is as delicious - and as large - as ever. Maybe the cook had a bad day when the reader dined there, but I list the hotel's Blue Truffle burger as one of the best burgers in town, along with the Hudson burger from Muertos Kitchen and Lounge and the Sonny burger from downtown Mexicali. (file photo of the Hudson and the Sonny burger)
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: This quote was attributed to Will Rogers: "When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”
* ... GOOD FORM: Congratulations to my friend Juan Ventimiglia, a local substitute teacher soon to be credentialed in English, who last week became a U.S. citizen. With all the debate and controversy over immigration, it's heart warming to see someone like Ventimiglia talk with youthful wonder about the legal process he went through to become a citizen. The 29-year-old was born in Argentina but came to the United States with his mother, Monica Ayuso, who was pursuing a Ph.D. in English, at the age of two. He is a graduate of CSUB. In this case, Argentina's loss in our gain.
* ... MORE GOOD FORM: It was good to hear that the Taft Chamber of Commerce is recognizing Sheri Horn-Bunk as its Woman of the Year for 2016. The ever energetic Horn-Bunk is director of the Taft College Foundation and is one of the brains behind the successful West Kern Petroleum Summit that is held on the college campus. Kudos also go to Bob Colton for being named Businessman of the Year and Tanner Melton who will be given the Youth Leadership Award.