* ... GEESE: A friend shared an adorable picture of a family of geese (seven little ones and the parents) crossing a busy Mohawk Street while traffic came to a stop on a busy day to watch nature at work.
* ... WEEKEND: You didn't have to go far this weekend to find an event to attend, be it Links for Life at Seven Oaks, Relay for Life at the fairgrounds, a dinner for Catholic Charities, Cal State
Bakersfield's community day or the Great American Cleanup that saw folks spread out across town sprucing up our community. The cleanup event grows every year and brings out the best in us. Add to that concerts by Chris Stapleton and Jackson Browne and the town was hopping.
* ... BILL WALTON: I was among the 200 or so people who showed up to hear UCLA basketball legend Bill Walton speak on behalf of Bike Bakersfield. His theme of second chances, hope, persistence and gratitude was infectious, and it was good to see Ward 2 city council candidate Andre Gonzales in the audience to support bicycle commuting. The venue - the outdoor Gardens at Mill Creek with its finely trimmed lawn - could not have shown off better.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Just got a Cheerio stuck between my toes walking through the kitchen. Clearly my dog isn’t doing his part of the chores around here."
* ... SUMMER CALORIES: How many people who order those Caramel Frappuccinos from Starbucks realize they might be better off ordering a milkshake from McDonald's?
* ... BAD FORM: What is it about men and the need for speed? On Friday I witnessed two young men in separate, lowered cars racing down Union Avenue (it didn't end well when one of the speeders plowed into an SUV that was leaving the Burger King parking lot; thank goodness no one was seriously injured) and on Saturday a middle aged man peeling out of a parking lot off Ming Avenue and almost hitting a oncoming car near Old River Road.
* ... GOOD FORM: Reba Mullen submitted this simple thank you directed at an unnamed Good Samaritan: "I would like to express my sincere thanks to the woman who found my keys at the Valley Plaza and returned them to Total Woman fitness gym where I am a member. Such kindness will never be forgotten. I hope I will be able to help someone, as she helped me,in the future. May God bless her."
* ... MEMORIES: Here's a good one from Ronal Renyier: "You might be a Bakersfield old timer if you remember 'Freddie's' at the Circle. You might have seen the actor Ward Bond when he was in town having his typical breakfast of four eggs, six bacon strips, four pieces of toast, two pancakes,
one dinner steak and a double order of hash-browns. Freddie did not know what to charge him the
first time and so charged him for three meals."
Post a Comment