* ... TOWN HALLS: Don't expect Bakersfield Rep. Kevin McCarthy to hold any town hall meetings soon. The House Majority Leader made that clear Wednesday when I spoke to him in a
* ... PROTESTS: And speaking of McCarthy, I think it is deplorable that protesters think it is perfectly okay to stage their protests in front of McCarthy's personal residence. It raises serious security issues not only for McCarthy's family for for neighbors as well.
* ... TRUMP: Nick Graham dropped me this note that no doubt speaks for a lot of folks here: " "It is troubling to watch how divided are country is becoming. However, I have peace of mind, a better sense of security, and most of all HOPE in knowing that Donald Trump is our President and not Hillary Clinton."
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "A job interview is like a first date. You dress up, pretend to be someone else and spend the time wondering if you’re going to get screwed."
* ... ZIMMER: Did you know that George Zimmer, the gravely voiced founder of Men's Wearhouse, has turned into an outspoken advocate for recreational marijuana? It turns out that Zimmer, who was ousted from the company he founded and is now working on his new firm Generation Tux, credits marijuana with helping him quit drinking some 35 years ago.
* ... HAIL TEXAS: Phil Jacobs responded to my earlier post about how Californians are viewed in Texas. "As someone who has great admiration for all things Texas, I was really interested in the e-mail sent to you about Californians at a Texas rodeo. To be honest, I'm surprised that they would allow anyone from my pitiful state in any Texas activity. I'm sure there was no rudeness involved, because Texans are incapable of this or any other vice. It was probably just natural shock that Californians were let in... As a Californian who loves Texas, I hope Texans feel free to stop by our humble state anytime they get tired of glorious Texas. For those Texans that know how to use a compass or the location of Polaris, California is about 600-800 miles west of Amarillo. It's near a big water sometimes called the Pacific Ocean. There are rumors that this water is bigger that the Gulf of Texas, I mean Mexico. I'm sure that's untrue. In closing, I say hail to the great state or rather World of Texas. It is truly the most wonderful place on Earth, including Disneyland!"
* ... MEMORIES: I lifted this memory from the Facebook page Kern County of Old: "Not counting our heritage Basque restaurants, there were exactly five classy places you might take a dater for the prom in the mid 1960s: Maison Jaussauds, Tam O'Shanter, Freddie's Top of the Hill, Bakersfield Inn and the Skyway Lounge at the old Meadows Field terminal.
* ... MORE MEMORIES: And finally this from the same source: "Dan Blocker (1928-1972) was Grand Marshal of the Bakersfield Christmas Parade in 1961. He played 'Hoss Cartright' on the show Bonanza. While here for the event he was a guest at the Cousin Herb Henson home."