Monday, June 18, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed, now online only. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special place. Email your news and notes to email@example.com.
* ... FAREWELL CALIFORNIA?: So what do you make of the attempt to divide California into
* ... DOWNTOWN: If you were looking for a spot to eat downtown last Friday, chances are you were out of luck. Thanks to two big shows at Rabobank Arena and convention center (Sugarland and Jerry Seinfeld), virtually every restaurant downtown was booked solid, from Uricchio's Trattoria to Mexicali to Muertos and to Chef's Choice Noodle lounge. Oldtimers told me they had never seen Mexicali so crowded as it was Friday.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.'
* ... NUESTRO MEXICO: When the wildly popular restaurant La Costa Mariscos moved to the Ice House a few years ago, a few of the employees stayed behind to make a go of it in the small but cozy original location on 21st Street. On Tuesday, I will have owner Francisco Martin join me on The Richard Beene Show (KERN NewsTalk) 96.1 FM to talk about his secret to success, as well as the opening of a new Nuestro Mexico lounge in the northwest.
* ... SAFE SURRENDER BABIES: Also on Tuesday tune in to hear the uplifting story of Ali and Anthony Davis, a couple who have adopted three children including one who was a "safe surrender" baby left at a local fire station just hours or days old. Nathan is now a healthy and rambunctious lad who loves cowboy and rodeos. Tune in to hear this heart warming story of a couple whose love knows no bounds.
* ... MEMORIES: This old photo is courtesy of the Facebook page Kern County of Old. Its caption reads: