Monday, August 20, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special to live. Send your news tips to email@example.com.
* ... BEE SHORTAGE: The New York Times Sunday magazine devoted a large spread to our Central Valley,
* .. RAISING CANE'S: The fact that a new fast food restaurant opens in town is hardly news, but it is if Raising Cane's is coming to a block near you. Known for its chicken tenders and sides and spices, Raising Cane's is opening on Coffee Road just a few blocks north of Rosedale Highway and I predict will be a huge hit in a town that loves its fast food. It is now advertising for employees for a early 2019 opening.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "I’m happy my date didn’t snoop in my medicine cabinet but sad I spent an hour setting up 40 ping pong balls in there for nothing."
* ... MORE TWITTER: "Had another panic attack this morning or as I like to call it, waking up."
* ... STOCKDALE HIGH: Did you graduate from Stockdale High School in 1995 and are missing your senior ring? I ran into this on Facebook: "(TO ANYONE WHO WENT TO STOCKDALE HIGH SCHOOL IN 1995...) Do you know the name of the person who played basketball that was #22 and ran track that did the high jump that possibly was the central section champion?? We have found your ring..."
* ... GOOD FORM: Here is a salute to all of those people among us who take it upon themselves to try to keep our community clean. This is from Jim Pappe a local cyclist: "Cycling friends, meet Lisa. I've seen her for several years cleaning up the trash thrown out on Alfred Harrell Highway by vehicles and, today, cyclists. I stopped and chatted with her enough to thank her, and to apologize for one of our own cyclist's selfish behavior. Please act responsibly when you are cycling and pocket your tubes and CO2 cartridges after fixing your flat. And thank Lisa when you see her."
* ... MEMORIES: A then and now look at the Tejon Pass.