Monday, December 10, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special place to live. Send your news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ... TEJON RANCH: The Los Angeles Times has come out against Tejon Ranch's Centennial development, citing its negative effect on climate change and arguing against more development in "remote" areas. On Tuesday, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will vote on Centennial,
* ... TEJON OUTLETS: Meanwhile here is one thing Tejon Ranch did right: the Outlets at Tejon were buzzing with holiday shoppers this weekend, and why not? Most stores have slashed prices anywhere from 30 percent to 60 percent, including the wildly popular Pottery Barn.
* ... OIL EXPORTS: Here's a bit of good news or the oil patch: for the first time in decades, the United States has become a net exporter of oil and other refined fuels. That's according to The Wall Street Journal which said the very thought of the U.S. being an oil exporter was unthinkable 10 years ago. The Journal noted that OPEC's decision to try to curtail production was a direct result of surging U.S. production. In short, the U.S. exported 3.2 million barrels of oil the last week of November, along with 5.8 million barrels of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.
* .. SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "No one in my entire life has believed in me more than the waiter who just gave me a single napkin to use while eating my lunch.'
* ... OVERHEARD: At a southwest gym a man is telling a friend: "I would enjoy the Christmas parade more if people didn't leave it so littered. It's disgraceful."
* ... GREGORY PORTER: Looking to spice up your holidays? Then grab a ticket to see the incredible Gregory Porter on Sunday, Dec. 16, at the Fox Theater. The Grammy-winning Porter is returning to his hometown (that's right, he's from Bakersfield) to benefit the Agapeland Christian Academy, where his own son attended. Porter is one of today's most acclaimed jazz musicians and his upcoming concert is a must-see event.
* ... MEMORIES: Here's an old photo of Highway 99 through Gorman from 1952.