Friday, December 14, 2018
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this such a special place to live. Send your news tips to email@example.com.
* ... BILL O'REILLY: Former Fox commentator Bill O'Reilly doesn't think the Democrats will push to impeach Donald Trump, at least based on what we know now about the investigation into
* ... GUAPO'S TACOS: One of the hottest vegan restaurants in town is located off White Lane and Highway 99. Run by Ali Gazali, Guapo's Tacos offers a full selection of steak, chorizo and chicken but also an ever evolving offering of vegan tacos, vegan nachos and vegan chili cheese fries. I tasted them all when Ali appeared on my radio program (KERN NewsTalk 96.1 FM) and they were simply outstanding. They are open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "My boss said 'Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.' Now I’m sitting in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman."
* ... MEXICALI: The choice has been clear for years: are you loyal to the downtown location of Mexicali, or do you prefer the Mexicali West location on California Avenue? If you are the latter, chances are you have made a pilgrimage to the "second" Mexicali as it prepares to close down at the end of the year. The building has been sold and the family that runs the restaurants will concentrate on the downtown location. Scores of loyal customers have been visiting the California Avenue location, just to get that last meal (and margarita) in before it closes for good.
* ... 23ABC COOKBOOK: Hats off to Allison Gargaro and her crew at KERO-TV for pitching in to help the Mission of Kern County. Gargaro, who handles the weather and is studying to become a meteorologist, partnered with different local personalities (Mayor Karen Goh and Rep. Kevin McCarthy among others) to write a cookbook. All of the proceeds from the sale went to the Mission.
* ... MEMORIES: Check out this photo of our old train depot, courtesy of the Kern County History Facebook page. The caption read: "Southern Pacific Depot, East Bakersfield, California
Postcard Dated: 12 September 1918."