Friday, June 28, 2019
Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. Send news items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ... BISHOP BRENNAN: Bishop Joseph Brennan has broken his silence about the allegations of sexual abuse against Monsignor Craig Harrison and seven other priests in the Fresno diocese. While not naming Harrison directly, Brennan told KMPH in Fresno it is hard to maintain the presumption of innocence given the weight of the allegations. An excerpt from the interview: "Bishop Brennan says
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: "I don't give money to street beggars, but I almost did today to a white boy, just for his clever sign: 'Could you Pleez Spread Some Cheese on this Cracker?'"
* ... CARMAX FIRE: The freeway fire that spread to the Carmax back parking lot destroyed or badly damaged almost 90 cars and trucks. It was near surreal, as these photos attest.
* ... TROUT'S NO MORE: Trout's, that iconic honky tonk on North Chester, is no more. The old-time bar is now being gutted for a renovation that will make room for a medical facility. If you danced or hosted a cocktail there, it was your last time.
* ... CASA MUNOZ: First we lost Sinaloa, then Mexicali West, and it looks like yet another local icon to Mexican food - Casa Munoz - may be heading the same way. The building at the corner of Union and 18th Street, home to some of the best Mexican fare and margaritas in town, is listed for sale for around $1 million. Time to show the Munoz family some love and catch dinner there.
* ... MEMORIES: So who knew we had a Piggly Wiggly in town? I learned this, and spotted this incredible old picture, on the Kern County of Old Facebook page. It had this caption: "View of the interior of The Piggly Wiggly store in Bakersfield in 1927 yes, we had one too. That store was located at 2029 Chester Avenue where Doug Hobbies stands now.'"
* ... MORE MEMORIES: And who doesn't remember Brock's?
Post a Comment