Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. The views expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any other individual, organization or company.
* ... SHOW TRIAL: Is Bakersfield ready for a "very public" trial detailing the allegations of sexual abuse against Father Craig Harrison? That is what San Diego attorney Paul Jonna said may be
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "I’m not shy, I’m just really good at figuring out who’s worth talking to."
* ... CLOSINGS: More local restaurants have shut their doors, joining a growing list of local eateries that just couldn't make it in today's competitive environment. First, the Corner Bakery on California and Easton Drive shut down at the first of the month (no word on what will go in its place). I also learned that Steak and Grape over on Coffee has apparently closed for good. The popular steak place closed August 1 but indicated they were remodeling, and now word is it has closed. They join Cafe Med and Joseph's Italian restaurant on the list of eateries that apparently have served their last meal.
* ... GETTYSBURG: A Kern County man is headed to Gettysburg to become superintendent of Gettysburg National Military Park and Eisenhower National Historic Site in Pennsylvania.
Steven Sims, a 1992 graduate of Tehachapi High School and later West Point, will be responsible for managing both of the national park sites. Sims, who was born and raised in Tehachapi, said he is excited about his new appointment. "It was an honor, and quite humbling," said Sims, a longtime National Park Service employee. "Gettysburg is a very important place in our nation's history."
* ... WILDLIFE: Enjoy this shot of a group of coyotes out near Taft, captured by Pam Taylor. It is a healthy looking posse.
* ... ANARCHY: Near anarchy reigns on our streets, as people feel free to pop into a local store and steal what they want without consequences,.Check out this post from the Bakersfield Thieves Facebook page: "This POS walked in and walked the store picked what he wanted and walked out with 2 scooters and whatever else the 2 cows that were with him. Sad part they doing it with children. Guess they raising the next generation of thieves. Guard tried to get our stuff back but dude was threatening. BPD won't help as long as something physical don't happen in store. Ummmm. Laws need to change. Retailers beware. Remember that ugly face and the cows he with."
* ... MEMORIES: Just look at this old picture of the rock at Morro Bay from the 1890s.