Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. The views expressed here are strictly my own and do not represent any other person or organization.
* ... SHELTERING IN: So how did your first weekend go sheltering in place? The town was eerily - and appropriately - quiet with restaurants, bars, movie theaters and events shut down. The bike path
* ... VIRUS UPDATE: As of 4 p.m. PST on Sunday, the United States had 32,000 cases and 201 deaths. In California, as of 2 p.m. Sunday, we have had 1,468 positive cases of the virus and 27 deaths.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Waiting for the government to ban gatherings of more than 4 people so I don’t have to go home."
* .. PRICE GOUGING: District Attorney Cynthia Zimmer has a warning for all of you who want to take advantage of the run on food, toilet paper and hand sanitizers: if we catch you price gouging, you will be prosecuted. Zimmer said investigators from her office are routinely checking out reports of price gouging and if a case can be proven, she will not hesitate to bring charges. If you know of instances of price gouging, contact the DA's office.
* ... RESTAURANTS: One by one the iconic restaurants that serve our community - Uricchios Trattoria, Luigi's Delicatessan, Jake's Tex-Mex, Mexicali, Two Goats and a Goose (formerly Muertos), Pyrenee's Cafe , Cafe Smitten etc - have shut down or gone to curbside takeout service only because of the coronavirus. We will find out shortly how important a role the bars and restaurants play in our community, in terms of socializing, doing business and family time. I miss them already, and I fret over the well being of the owners and the servers, bartenders, cooks and busboys who serve us every day.
* ... SIGN OF THE TIMES: I came home to find this on my door, notice from one of my favorite Mexican restaurants that they remain open, at least for take-out.
* ... SPOTTED ON FACEBOOK: Speaks for itself...
* ... MEMORIES: If you didn't think there was traffic back in the day, think again. Take a look at this nugget from our past.
Post a Comment