* ... HEAT WEEK: Remember those balmy evenings last week when the wind was soft and it was perfect to dine outside? Well enjoy that memory because that cooling trend is now officially over, and if there were ever a doubt about what month we are in, just check out the calendar. For the next week, we will see
* ... REGISTERED FIREARMS: Ever wonder where your state stands in terms of how many guns are owned by residents? Well, a recent survey based on registered firearms had the answers, and here are the top states with the highest numbers of registered firearms, starting with No. 9 and counting down: Wyoming, Washington, D.C., New Mexico, Virginia, Idaho, Alabama, Nevada, Alaska and Louisiana.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "Common sense is like deodorant; those who need it most don’t use it."
* ... SILVER FOX: Well look who is back! The classic Silver Fox sign is back at the iconic watering hole across from Mexicali downtown. Owner Rod Crawford said the original sign was donated to the Kern County Museum and is now on display, so he was forced to have a replicate sign made by a local artist. Crawford and his wife, Julie, also own Pyrenees Cafe, which they have restored to its original grandeur.
* ... PEACOCK ICE CREAM: Who remembers Peacock Ice Cream? A banner featuring the ice cream showed up in an old picture of a picnic for Standard Oil Co. employees here in Kern County. This picture dates from 1924. Thanks to the Kern County of Old Facebook page for this gem. Word has it that the ice cream company was owned by Wayne Peacock, who also owned Wayne's Dairy back in the day.
* ... MEMORIES: Courtesy of the Kern County History Fans Facebook page comes this classic old photo from 1938.