Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. The views expressed here are strictly my own and do not represent any other company or publication.
* ... COVID VACCINE: Public distrust, or at the least public skepticism, could turn out the greatest challenge when a vaccine is eventually rolled out for Covid-19. That's the word from Dr. Brij Bhambi of
* ... MORE COVID: One of the curious things about Covid-19 is how many people carry the virus but remain asymptomatic. But new research shows that even among those who show no symptoms carry just as much virus as those who become gravely ill. That's the word from a new study in South Korea that offers definitive proof that those without symptoms carry just as much virus in their nose, throat and lungs and those with symptoms, and for almost as long. According to a story on the study in The New York Times, experts believe "that asymptomatic people are unwitting broadcasters of the virus." Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimated that about 40 percent of the population have no symptoms when they get infected. And yet, they spread the virus like all others.
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "The guy I use for odd jobs around the house is amazing; in the last month alone he’s repaired a leaky roof, fixed a broken gate, retiled the bathroom and according to the wife it was him that somehow reversed my vasectomy, too!"
* ... CRAFTSMEN: Darin Buoni grew up on a farm in Old River, played in a rock band, shot skeet and dabbled in a number of hobbies like most young people. His latest hobby, if you can call it that, has taken off by storm: he is making custom chef's knives and cleavers by hand, lovingly sharpening the carbon steel blades to a razors edge and attaching beautiful wood handles that are stunning to the eye. While he can't sell them fast enough, Buoni cautions this remains a "hobby" and he has no intention of quitting his day job to devote his life to handmade knives. To hear his story, catch Darin Buoni on The Richard Beene Show this Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. on KERN NewsTalk 96.1 FM.1180 AM. A small sample of some of his knives are below.
* ... NEW INFINITI: Congratulations to Chuck Mackey of Bakersfield who won a 2019 Infiniti Q50 in a raffle to support the CSUB wrestling team. The drawing was held at the Infiniti of Bakersfield showroom before most of the wrestling team and local supporters, include Craig Tobin, Janis and Vern Varner and others. This is the third year that Infiniti has partnered to help support CSUB wrestling.
* ... LAKE ISABELLA: Here's an old photo of the Kern River Valley in 1927 before Lake Isabella was added in 1953. Paradise Cove/Southlake at the Base of the Mountain. Kissack Cove would be to the left just out of view. The photo would have been taken around Rabbit Island near the back road to Kernville.
Post a Comment