Thursday, March 21, 2013
With the Arts Council of Kern in turmoil, a new arts non-profit opens its doors, and what are the 22 secrets to a long and happy life?
* ... HAPPINESS: I read with interest a piece called "22 Things Happy People Do Differently" on a website called "Successify." Among those things to consider: don't hold grudges; accept what cannot be changed; speak well of others; take time to listen; never seek approval from others; live minimally; eat well; exercise; tell the truth and never make excuses. Sounds like a good place to start.
* ... BURGERS: There are a lot of good hamburgers in town (Juicy Burger, In-N-Out, Tahoe Joe's, The Padre to name a few) but my top pick is the Hudson burger over at Muertos Kitchen and Lounge in the Wall Street Alley. If you haven't tried it, make sure you do so. And what is your favorite burger in town?
* ... YOUNG TURKS: BakersfieldLife, the premier glossy city magazine around town, is accepting nominations to recognize some of the up and coming young people in our community. This "20 under 40" competition will recognize folks who give back to our community while showing outstanding character. The nominations can be made at www.bakersfieldlife.com until April 12.
* ... NO BUTTS: Hats off to the nearly 50 students from Freedom Middle School and Almondale Elementary (Rosedale Union School District) who participated in the No Butts Left Behind (NBLB) program, designed to raise community awareness about cigarette butts littering and its impact in the environment. This week they helped clean up Almondale Park in the northwest. Rosedale Union students have already cleaned up two other parks in the past several weeks. In an hour's time at each park, Polo Community Park yielded 1,796 butts and North Rosedale Park's total was 1,255.
* ... BAKERSFIELDISM: You may be a Bakersfield old-timer if you "stopped in the evening on the way home from school for milk and bread at Niles Street Liquor and picked up .22 ammo at the same time."