* … FRACKING: In the disinformation war on hydraulic fracturing, I was interested to read that President Obama's chief custodian of federal lands thinks that regional bans on fracking are misguided and not supported by science. KernTax passed along a new story by KQED quoting Interior Secretary Sally
* … DINERS: One of our storied Basque restaurants, the Pyrennes Cafe, will be featured on the popular Food Network program Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. A film crew from the program was there testing lighting over the weekend. The program host, Guy Fieri, has announced that he is opening an outlet of his own restaurant, Johnny Garlics, at The Marketplace this year.
* … EATERY: And speaking of eateries, =nother new restaurant is opening downtown, this one specializing in sushi. Jin Sushi will be located on the northwest corner of 19th and Eye streets next to The Metro Galleries and across the street from Chef's Choice Noodle bar. No word on the exact opening date.
* … GOOD FORM: Bobby Blackmon shared this uplifting story that I feel compelled to pass along. In his words: "I am writing to tell you about some great form from a group of coaches, student athletes and parents at Stockdale High School. My wife was diagnosed with (AML) leukemia last year and spent many months in the hospital. She recently relapsed, along with valley fever causing pneumonia which sent her back to USC Norris Cancer center for six weeks. We have two boys attending Stockdale, and a daughter that graduated in 2013. All three run cross country and play soccer. As a show of support and ultimate kindness, coaches, student athletes, and the parents of those young men and women gathered dozens and dozens of gas, food and gift cards and put them in a gift bag and sent them home with my sons for our family! I was speechless when they showed me (I’m never speechless). Please send our thanks and gratitude and LOVE to all the people who helped out with this amazing show of support for our family! We would also like to thank the MOPS moms from Valley Baptist Church for all the meals and amazing show of support over this past 18 months. We want everyone that’s helped to know how much it means to us!"
* … MEMORIES: Ronal Reynier wrote taht the new AAA Westways magazine featured a story on the state's citrus crop. Said Reynier: "Do you remember the orange stand on 'old' Highway 99 in Greenfield? They not only served orange drinks but also the greatest cheese burgers in the country. Their sauce was so secret that when they closed, they would not say how they made their sauce to anyone.
* … BAKERSFIELDISM: You may be a Bakersfield old timer if "you got your television tubes tested at the Thrifty's in Hillcrest."
Post a Comment