Welcome to Bakersfield Observed. Our mission is to celebrate life in Kern County by focusing on newsmakers and events and the local characters who make this community such a special place. The views expressed here are strictly my own and do not represent any other company or publication.
* ... FISH 'N CHIPS: The next time you belly up to your local bar, you better be ready to order dinner if you expect to be served that cold brew. That's the word from Gov. Gavin Newsom's office which has issued guidelines saying that drinks can only be served if they are accompanied by a full
* ... FUTURE OF EDUCATION: Is this pandemic triggering a potential rethinking of the way we look at public education? That's what Russell Johnson thinks as school systems grapple with the best way to provide quality education to children in the midst of Covid-19. Johnson, a former Bakersfield city councilman and planning commissioner who now runs Common Sense Consulting, predicted school systems may eventually evolve to a true hybrid system where students can decide what they want: online distance learning or in class learning, or a combination of the two. The technology is here and this would also appease parents who are fearful of violence or bullying at school or simply feel a more home schooling environment is best for their children. (file photo of Russell Johnson)
* ... SPOTTED ON TWITTER: "I’m not shy, I’m just really good at figuring out who’s worth talking to."
* ... DYLAN RYAN: Congratulations to Bakersfield's own Dylan Ryan, an Occidental College senior who has been featured in Sidelines magazine, a publication devoted to horse enthusiasts and equestrian competition. The daughter of Action Sports owner Kerry Ryan, Dylan has ridden competitively since she was a child and now is a regular on the show circuit along with her thoroughbred, Bart. She is one of the few mixed race riders on the circuit, and credits her strong family and good genes (the Ryan family is full of fierce competitors in various sports) with her success. What was her motivation to keep riding? It was simple, she says. Dad Kerry Ryan told her she had to earn straight A's to compete, and that is exactly what she did.
* ... SLO PROTEST: Did you hear about the Black Lives Matter protest in San Luis Obispo this week? The police allowed it after being assured by the organizer it would be peaceful, but that didn't turn out to be the case. The crowd marched straight to Highway 101 where they blocked traffic, and along the way smashed out the back window of a car that carried a toddler. The protest organizer was arrested. What would you do if you confronted a crowd like this?
* ... MEMORIES: Just take a look at this picture of the Fox Theater under construction back in the day. Photo complements of the Kern County of Old Facebook page.