* … HOME: If you ever doubt the goodness that exists in this community, notes like the following should serve as a wakeup call. Amanda Vallette and her husband are from Edmonton, Alberta, and
* … GLEANERS: Pam Fiorini is resigning as executive director of the Golden Empire Gleaners. Fiorini has served as head of the charity for seven years and told me it was time to do something else. No word yet on who will succeed her. (photo of Pam Fiorini (right) with Judi McCarthy.)
* … SPOTTED: A woman in an old green van casually tosses her fast food wrappers and soda cup out the driver's side window while driving down Mount Vernon. When she stops at a light, she empties her ashtray.
* … OVERHEARD: In the Vons at The Marketplace a woman is telling a friend about her children going back to school. "God knows I love them but I can't wait to get them out of the house."
* … FOODIE BEST BET: Cafe Med has brought back its half off appetizers during happy hour, as well as $3 beer, $4 wine and $5 martinis. Always a best bet for quality food and drink.
* … DATE NIGHT: Looking for something fun to do this Saturday? Then you might consider Date Night at the Fox Theater which will be showing the 1980 film Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. Admission, hot dogs and drinks are just $1 each. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show starts at 7 p.m. It's a chance to see all the work the Fox Theater Foundation has done on bringing the old girl back to glory.
* … VILLAGEFEST: Get ready for another VillageFest, the always popular event that is expected to raise $160,000 for charity. The event, featuring craft beer, music and food, is set for Saturday, Sept. 6, at the Kern County Museum from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will be beer from more than 60 breweries, wine and plenty of food, not to mention 15 local brands. The attendance is expected to exceed 5,000. The event has always been a fundraiser for C.A.R.E. (Children’s Advocates Resource Endowment), a non-profit organization serving the needs of Kern County’s children since 1999. Tickets are $70 and may be purchased at Vallitix, Lengthwise and Frugatti's Italian Restaurant.