Sunday, March 22, 2009
Don't mess with me: I'm from Bakersfield
Was on Facebook today when I spotted this "community' devoted to kids who left town for college (check out the full list here). It's an amusing compilation of things that kids miss about home, and of course it was created wholly on Facebook through the power of social networking, which should never be underestimated. Facebook and like sites allow people to connect and share experiences, and the mainstream media should take notice that these are powerful tools that can be used to build community. Newspapers and media companies that define the world by what their finite reporting staffs can produce - or continue under the illusion that they set the agenda - ignore these communities at their own peril. Now back to the "list," here's a few things our kids miss about home:
* FOG DELAYS!
* Smiley face cookies from Smith's
* The solid walls of fog
* The tumbleweeds, roadkill and vast expanses of oil derricks
* The Kern County Fair (the single grossest fair on the planet and we love it
* Sequoia Sandwiches
* The Fox Theater
* All the 99 Cent stores
* The ghetto ass mall rates at Valley Plaza
* Seeing a 4-door sedan with 9 people in it on a regular basis
* The mysterious cars always parked at the bridge at Round Mtn. Road and China Grade Loop
You get the picture. They do miss us. Photo courtesy of the Facebook group.